IGF 2022: Children’s and young people’s rightsMarlene Fasolt, Stiftung Digitale Chancen
The 17th annual Internet Governance Forum (IGF) meeting will be hosted by the Government of Ethiopia in Addis Ababa in a hybrid format from 28 November to 2 December 2022.
The theme of this year’s IGF is "Resilient Internet for a Shared Sustainable and Common Future". Representatives from business, science and civil society will meet with high-ranking government representatives from all over the world and address the following topics in various event formats:
- Connecting All People and Safeguarding Human Rights
- Avoiding Internet Fragmentation
- Governing Data and Protecting Privacy
- Enabling Safety, Security and Accountability
- Addressing Advanced Technologies, including AI
Many sessions at this years IGF will cover the topic of children’s and young people’s rights to protection, empowerment and participation in the digital environment. Multiple of these sessions have a strong focus on data privacy and protection.
We have put together a list of the sessions that will cover aspects of children and young people growing up in a digital environment. This way you can decide which parts of the program are of interest to you. All sessions are designed to actively involve participants, whether they are on-site or online. Within the IGF week we will report from the event, with a special focus on these sessions.
Registration is required to attend the IGF. It is recommended that you register in good time before the start of the event. You will receive a confirmation that entitles you to access the on-site events and the digital Zoom meetings.
IGF-Sessions on "Growing up in a digital environment":
- 12:35-14:05 UTC, Room CR3: IGF 2022 WS #183 Digital Wellbeing of Youth: Selfgenerated sexualised content
- 14:30-15:30 UTC, Room Banquet Hall A: IGF 2022 WS #269 Data privacy gap: the Global South youth perspective
- 12:05-13:35 UTC, Room CC: IGF 2022 WS #523 Youthful approach at data protection in messaging apps
- 12:05-13:35 UTC, Room CR5: IGF 2022 WS #341 Global youth engagement in IG: successes and opportunities
- 13:50-15:20 UTC, Room CR4: IGF 2022 WS #318 Gen-Z in Cyberspace: Are We Safe Online?
- 8:15-9:45 UTC, Room PBR: IGF 2022 WS #471 Addressing children’s privacy and edtech apps
- 10:45-11:45 UTC, Room LBR:IGF 2022 WS #252 Building a safe & trustworthy digital world for all children
- 12:00-13:00 UTC, Room PBR:IGF 2022 WS #352 Youth lenses on Meaningful Access and Universal Connectivity
Please note that all times here are in UTC.